WHO WE ARE
The Operator – International Schools Services
The Founders – Roman and Chitra Stern
Founding Leadership Team
Dr. Nils Remmel, Founding Head of School, originally from Germany, lived in Switzerland, where he graduated from University St. Gallen, a leading European business school, with a PhD in management. After starting his professional career in consulting, he was appointed Director at Institut Montana Zugerberg, a leading boarding school in Switzerland, with a 90-year legacy and fully accredited, offering the IB Diploma and Cambridge IGCSE programs alongside the Swiss national curriculum. He has been appointed by the Council of International Schools (CIS) as an educational expert to chair accreditation team visits worldwide ensuring the quality of education in international schools (K-12).
Stephen Plisinski, ISS Senior Leadership Executive, is an international professional with over 40 years of experience in various teaching and leadership roles. Throughout his career he was a Head of School at American/ International Schools in Myanmar, Ethiopia and India. He also held leadership and teaching positions at other schools around the world, including Saudi Arabia, Oman, several African countries. Stephen holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Secondary Education, a Master’s Degree in Elementary Education and a Master of Business Administration.
International Accreditation and Memberships
It is of utmost importance to us to ensure highest quality in our educational programs. This is achieved through the implementation of rigorous standards and employing faculty and leadership with a long-standing experience and successful track record in international education. To spark a regular reflection how we can still advance and innovated the education at United Lisbon, we measure ourselves at highest external standards set by leading global educational institutions such as:
- The International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO): United International School Lisbon is a candidate school* for the Diploma Programme. This school is pursuing authorization as an IB World School. IB World Schools share a common philosophy- a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education- that we believe is important for our students.
- The New England Association of School’s and Colleges (NEASC): We have embarked on the process of receiving accreditation from NEASC, which will be completed once the school starts operating.
- The Common Ground Collaborative (CGC): United Lisbon joins a group of leading international schools around the globe in building a highly innovative learning ecosystem throughout Early Childhood, Primary and Middle School.
- The Mediterranean Association of International Schools (MAIS): United Lisbon is a member of the network of international schools in the Mediterranean that fosters partnerships and creates opportunities for teacher engagement and student learning beyond the school itself.
* Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP), or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted. For further information about the IB and its programmes visit http://www.ibo.org.